Borders are open with restrictions.
These passengers are allowed to enter:
- citizens of New Zealand
- permanent residents of New Zealand
- holders of a Resident Visa applied for on or before 30 November 2021. They must be arriving in New Zealand for the first time as the holder of that visa;
- holders of a Resident Visa applied for on or after 1 December 2021 and issued under the 2021 Resident Visa Category;
- partners or children of citizens and residents of New Zealand;
- holders of visa who have been granted an exemption;
- holders of a visitor visa issued by New Zealand;
- holders of NZeTA
Auckland (AKL) is the only airport opened for transit at the moment. The maximum length of stopover is 24 hours.
Passengers are prohibited from transit to China via New Zealand.
These passengers are allowed to transit to China:
- Chineese citizens if arriving from Niue, Tonga, Cook Islands, Vanuatu, Fiji, Samoa.
Arriving passengers can self-test on arrival, and will no longer need to enter managed isolation and quarantine (MIQ).